CrossFit Definition- Constantly Varied, Functional Movement, High Intensity
True fitness is the capacity to handle whatever life may throw at you. In CrossFit everything done in the gym is designed not only to get you better at CrossFit, but also to prepare you for life.
Very few objects in life are as symmetrically balanced and easy to grab as a barbellvor dumbbell. Most are odd shapes that are awkward to carry or move. Barbells are ideal training tools because they’re so effective and safe. Odd objects are ideal for representing the unknown and unknowable aspects of life.
Even though the human body is capable of extreme specializations, such as lifting 100,000 lbs. or racing hundreds of miles, life generally punishes the specialist. Instead the truly fit find themselves good at all disciplines
Fitness in 100 Words
Eat meat and vegetables, nuts and seeds, some fruit, little starch and no sugar. Keep intake to levels that will support exercise but not body fat. Practice and train major lifts: Deadlift, clean, squat, presses, C&J, and snatch. Similarly, master the basics of gymnastics: pull-ups, dips, rope climb, push-ups, sit-ups, presses to handstand, pirouettes, flips, splits, and holds. Bike, run, swim, row, etc, hard and fast. Five or six days per week mix these elements in as many combinations and patterns as creativity will allow. Routine is the enemy. Keep workouts short and intense. Regularly learn and play new sports. ~Greg Glassman
Ten Fitness Domains
Endurance, Stamina, Strenght, Flexbility, Power, Speed, Coordination, Agility, Balance, & Accuracy.
CrossFit 9 Foundational Movements
Squat, Front Squat, Overhead Squat, Shoulder Press, Push Press, Push Jerk, Deadlift, Sumo Deadlift High Pull, & Medicine Ball Clean.
Hierarchy Of Fitness
- Nutrition- Foundation for wellness/fitness. Can’t reach full potential as athlete without proper nutrition
- Metabolic Conditioning- Builds capacity in each of three metabolic pathways. This is what we normally think of as “cardio” (short/long/medium)
- Gymnastics- Establishes functional capacity for body control & range of motion (activities involving body control) … examples-push up, pull-up, air squat, muscle up
- Weightlifting- Develops ability to control external objects and produce power. Develops strength, speed & power and helps to excel in other areas of fitness.
- Sport- Fitness in competitive atmosphere wit more randomized movements and skill mastery. Sport is best way to express and test the skills we develop in all the other aspects of fitness.